You have planned well for your trip, but unexpected things arrived unannounced and your plans went for a toss. In other cases, your flight got delayed because of weather, any technical glitch, or anything else beyond the airline’s control. Now what? Don’t scrap your travel plan, rather go for a backup strategy. Here, American Airlines Refund Policy comes to your rescue. If the flight you booked is delayed or canceled, or you need to change one, will you get your ticket fare refunded? Well, let’s see in the account below.
However, it is important to know about the refund policy first. So, let’s begin.
What Is American Airlines Refund Policy?
Navigating through the refund policy of the airline might not be easy. However, you can have a fair understanding of it through the points mentioned below. So, before you book a ticket with AA, keep these in mind.
- According to American Airlines ticket refund policy, a complete refund will be credited automatically to your original payment mode if you cancel your flight tickets:
- Within 24 hours of reservation, or
- At least two days before departure
You need not make any effort to get a refund in the above-mentioned scenarios.
- American Airlines has “Flexible tickets” in its search engine, which enables you to purchase a refundable ticket.
- Until and unless canceled within the 24-hour booking window, the basic Basic economy ticket fares are never among the refundable AA tickets.
- Irrespective of the travel class, a nonrefundable American Airlines ticket can’t be refunded as per the American Airlines refund policy unless:
- There is a change in the flight schedule of over four hours.
- The passenger traveling is affected because of military orders.
- The passenger and/or traveling companion is no more.
AA provides you with a full refund as travel credit, in any of the aforementioned situations.
As a general rule of thumb, you should cancel the booking for the respective passengers to start the refund process. You must submit the refund requests for every passenger individually in a record locator.
Now, we have an idea of the American Airline Refund Policy, it’s time to know the process of claiming or getting your refund from AA.
How To Get A Refund From American Airlines?
The first and foremost thing to remember while claiming a refund is the time of booking your ticket with the American. The time of flight cancelation is equally important. AA refunds the amount of your ticket purchase. However, the booking service charges that were levied during booking on the phone and other nonrefundable taxes are deducted from the total ticket value.
Apart from the 24-hour window, you must know about some steps to claim your ticket refund for American Airlines Booking. So, let’s proceed to know about the refund process steps as per American Airlines Refund Policy.
Step 1 – Wait Until Your Trip is Canceled
You don’t get a refund on nonrefundable tickets if you have canceled your trip. But in case, the airline cancels, delays, or changes its flights; you can go ahead and request a refund. However, at times you will come to know about a flight cancelation only after 24 hours of its departure time. So, it is important to stay ahead of the status of your flight.
For instance, if your departure time is delayed for more than four hours because of a change, cancelation, or delay by the airline, you can apply for a refund. Check the eligibility criteria before starting with the American Airlines cancellation refund process or in the flight change or delay.
Step 2 – Initiate The Refund Process
- Visit prefunds.aa.com to get your refund for an AA canceled flight.
- You will get a pop-up box on the page, which informs you about your ticket value when you are going to rebook a flight ticket.
- Click on the “Refunds” button to proceed with the refund request.
Step 3 – Verify The Canceled Booking
- Once you click on the “Refunds” button, the pop-up box will close.
- The information will be displayed behind it.
- In the “Request a Refund” section, enter the passenger’s last name and the ticket number.
- Then, click on “Submit.”
- Follow the steps to find out if the reservation is eligible for an American Airlines cancel flight refund with your alternatives.
To make sure that you have pulled the correct booking to raise a refund request, carefully go through the reservation information.
Click on the “Continue” button, if you find everything correct.
Step 4 – Check Your Eligibility
Now you can check whether your flight ticket qualifies for a refund.
- To view other options, click on “Options”.
- If you are eligible for a refund, click on “Continue”.
- Your refund request will be submitted to AA.
Step 5 – Provide Your Contact Information
- Enter your contact information such as your full name, address, email address, and phone number.
- Click on the “Continue” button.
Step 6 – Review Your Request
Review all the details for your refund request according to American Airlines Refund Policy. The details include the booking as well as your contact information.
- Select a “Reason for Refund” from the drop-down menu.
- From the options displayed, select which one describes your reason for a refund request.
- Near the dropdown, there is a comment box where you can add clarification for your reason.
- Click on the “Submit” button.
In case, additional documentation (such as for a medical condition) is required for a refund, upload the same to support your reason.
Step 7 – Use Your Refund Confirmation Number
The airline will send you a confirmation number, once you are done with the review of the refund. You should also have successfully uploaded all the supporting documents to get this number.
This confirmation number will help you when you have to follow up on your refund request or contact American Airlines about it. You will receive your American Airlines cancellation refund usually within seven business days if you have made the booking through a credit card.
You can visit the website and check your refund request status if you don’t receive it within this time frame.
Have I Booked Refundable AA flight Tickets?
If you purchase a flight ticket through the official website of American Airlines, you get the option to book a refundable ticket. Such tickets cost more than the nonrefundable ones.
Furthermore, you can confirm whether you have bought a refundable or nonrefundable ticket by:
- Talking to an American Airlines executive at its Reservations number – 800-433-7300 or 855-434-7300
- Checking your booking details on your American Airlines account for American Airlines cancellation, change, or delay refund
- Scanning your booking confirmation email for the fine print
So, you can have a fairly good idea about the type of your ticket. This helps you be in a better position to claim and redeem your refund if required.
What Are American Airlines Flight Credits? How Do These Help?
American Airlines issues three types of travel credits to its passengers. All these credits can be used to book a flight ticket in the future. Here are the travel credits types:
If you have canceled or unused tickets, AA will provide you with flight credits. According to the American Airlines ticket refund policy, these are valid only on paid flights within or between the U.S., Puerto Rico as well as U.S. Virgin Islands. You must use these credits within a year from the date of issue. Moreover, one passenger can use only one credit.
AA provides you with electronic or paper travel vouchers, which have a validity of one year from the date of issue. Each passenger can use up to eight credits. You have to visit AA’s travel credit hub page to claim your credits.
Refunds and remaining value from flight credits are issued as trip credits, which are valid for a year from their date of issue. As per the American Airlines Refund Policy, you can use these credits to book flight tickets for domestic or international paid flights that fly from the U.S.
That’s why, requesting a refund by AA is an easy task, provided you are well-prepared for it. With the ever-changing scenario that travel plans and restrictions go through, you have the refund flexibility for your convenience.
So, to make the most of the American Airline Refund Policy, go for refundable tickets. Opt for nonrefundable flight tickets only when you are sure that you won’t have to request a refund. Therefore, plan well, book your flight tickets accordingly, and have a great journey with AA.
Visit Here For American Airlines Related Other Blogs:
American Airlines Missed Flight
American Airlines Group Travel
Frequently Asked Questions
What is American Airlines refund policy?
As per the American Airlines ticket refund policy, you automatically get a complete refund if you cancel your flight tickets either within 24 hours of booking or two days before departure. Get detailed information about it on the official website of AA or contact its representatives.
Does American Airlines have a 24-hour refund policy?
Yes, American Airlines refunds your ticket fare if you request it within 24 hours of booking. However, the basic economy tickets are non-refundable. For more information, visit the AA official website or talk to a customer care executive of the airline.
Does American Airlines allow refund?
Yes, American Airlines facilitate you with a refund on your flight ticket, provided you meet the eligibility criteria for the same.
Can I cancel a flight and get a refund?
You can get a refund on canceling a flight ticket if you do so within 24 hours of booking it. However, some tickets like the basic economy are non-refundable. Also, there are certain rules and regulations about claiming your refund as per the American Airlines Refund Policy.