Know Details of American Airlines Baggage Policy
Is an American Airlines trip on your cards? Apart from booking and other arrangements, have you packed your things? Know about the American Airlines Baggage Policy to pack accordingly for your trip and have a hassle-free journey. Also, learn the restrictions that the airline has set for baggage and fees incurred on excess baggage.
Moreover, you can also get answers regarding the costs that you have to pay as per the baggage type. So, go through this concise guide about the items that you can travel with when flying on American Airlines. It also takes you through allowances in different travel classes. So, scroll down and pack your stuff accordingly.
What is the American Airlines Baggage Policy?
American facilitates its passengers with a free first checked bag or even two in many cases. However, it depends on various factors, such as the destination you are flying to or whether you have any AA credit cards. To know more about the American Airline Baggage Policy, go through the specific details such as carry-on luggage allowance and checked baggage.
American Airlines Carry-on Baggage Allowance
- You can carry one piece of hand baggage and one personal item. It could be an item like a laptop bag, a purse, or a briefcase. The item must fit under the seat in front of you.
- Your hand baggage must be within the dimensions – 18 x 14 x 8 inches (45 x 35 x 20 cm) including handles and wheels.
- Your checked bag should be below 50 pounds (for the economy class) and below 70 pounds (for the premium cabin). If the weight limit exceeds, there will be a penalty on the baggage fees, according to the American Airlines Baggage Policy for carry-on bags.
- Basic economy customers are now allowed a free carry-on along with a personal item to all destinations.
Additionally, please note that the following are not included in your carry-ons or personal items –
- Child safety seats
- Diaper bags (1 per child)
- Strollers and medical or mobility devices
- Breast milk cooler bags
To skip the fees, gain elite loyalty status or pack light.
American Airlines Checked Baggage Allowance
Here are the guidelines to follow for checked bags as well as limits set on those. If you have a larger bag or you don’t want to carry a huge suitcase, know about the American Airlines baggage allowance as mentioned below –
Number of bags allowed
You can check up to 10 bags on domestic, trans-Pacific, and trans-Atlantic flights. However, while traveling through or from Mexico, the Caribbean, Central America, South America, or Brazil; you can check up to five bags. When you are traveling on domestic American Airlines itineraries, its baggage policy allows you a free first checked bag. You can travel with up to 4 companions on the same booking.
Similarly, American Airlines offers up to 2 free bags to Premium economy and business class travelers and baggage allowance for first class passengers is 3.
Size and weight limit
- The total measurement of each bag that you check must be within 62 inches (length + width + height.)
- Your bags must weigh up to 50 lbs / 23 kg.
- You can have 70 lbs / 32 kg complimentary bags on First and Business classes. For excess charged bags, AA allows 50 lbs / 23 kg weight.
- As per AA international baggage policy, you can take 70 lbs / 32 kg bags with total dimensions of 62 inches on flights to / from Australia or New Zealand.
AA offers a special bag allowance to the military personnel flying with it. So, as per the destination that a military official selects when traveling with an American Airlines flight, there is no fee for their bags.
- Active U.S. military and / or dependents – Up to 5 bags of 100 lbs each (if traveling on orders)
- Active U.S. military – Up to 3 bags of 50 lbs each (if flying for personal reasons)
As per American Airlines military baggage policy, those traveling with an active U.S. military ID on an AA flight can have these baggage allowance benefits.
The checked bag fees vary depending on the number of bags, the class of your ticket, and the destination you are flying to. If you have bags that exceed the weight and size limits, you have to pay an extra amount for those.
To get more information on the fee types, go through the table below. It also includes American Airlines international baggage fees for your convenience.
|S.No.||Regions||1 Bag||2 Bags||3 Bags|
|5||Caribbean (except Cuba and Haiti)||$30||$40||$200|
|7||Guyana and Suriname||$30||$40||$200|
|8||South America (except Guyana and Suriname)||$0/$45||$65||$200|
*Note – For more than 4 bags, you have to pay $200.
- that the The American Airlines carry-on baggage fees varies for a few of the above Regarding bag numbers. Sometimes, the basic economy travelers don’t get a free checked bag.
- AA charges a seasonal fee for tickets issued on specific dates.
The baggage fee also varies as per AA membership types as mentioned below –
|S.No.||Membership Types||First Bag||Second Bag|
|2||AAdvantage Gold elite member||Free||$40|
|3||AAdvantage Platinum elite member||Free||Free|
|4||AAdvantage Platinum Pro elite member||Free||Free|
|5||AAdvantage Executive Platinum elite member||Free||Free (and third bag free)|
|6||AAdvantage Executive Platinum elite member||Free||Free (and third bag free)|
For more information, get in touch with the customer service representative of American Airlines.
Which Items are Restricted on American Airlines?
American Airlines also restricts what you pack in your checked bags. So, on an American Airlines trip, you must know what is allowed and what is prohibited in the baggage you are taking along. Here are some of the items that are strictly prohibited on AA flights –
- Alcoholic beverages, marijuana
- Animal products
- Cutting instruments
- Defense sprays, explosives, firearms or ammunition, flammable liquids or solids
- Electronic cigarettes
- Household items
- Pressurized containers / compressed gasses
- Self-inflating life jackets
However, you can not pack items like pepper spray in your checked or carry-on baggage.
Important Things to Know About AA Baggage
In addition to the details about what is the baggage allowance on American Airlines, here are some important things that you should know when booking an American Airlines flight.
Delayed or damaged bags
- AA provides you coverage worth $3,800 with your ticket price if your baggage is lost or damaged on domestic flights.
- Coverage of up to $5,000 is provided when you declare excess value.
- Consider additional insurance, if your items cost more than the amount offered.
Music and sports equipment
You can carry your instrument to the flight on a first-come, first-served basis if an overhead bin or under the seating area accommodates it. If not, go for an extra seat.
Some common sports items you can check at standard bag fees are mentioned below.
- Archery equipment
- Baseball bats
- Bowling balls
- Fencing equipment
- Golf clubs
- Tennis rackets and balls
Connect with an airline representative at 800-433-7300 to know more about the weight and size limits on these items.
Now you know pretty much about the American Airlines Baggage Policy whether for economy or first class or even to different destinations.
So, pack accordingly and enjoy your journey with AA.
You May Visit: