What to Expect with American Airlines Wheelchair Assistance?
American Airlines is the world’s largest airline for numerous reasons. In addition to providing the best services and amenities to its travelers, AA operates with responsibility. And one of the responsibilities is to assist its disabled passengers. That’s why there is American Airlines Wheelchair assistance that enables travelers with mobility issues to travel conveniently.
With this service, AA has proven that it provides the best possible experience to its passengers. Think of a benefit when traveling on an AA flight and the airline presents you with it. So, do you have to take a trip but you are worried about getting a wheelchair? Keep your worries away when you are flying with American Airlines.
To know more about wheelchair assistance with American Airlines, go through this piece of writing.
What is the Wheelchair Policy of American Airlines?
If you or your loved one has to request a wheelchair while traveling with AA, don’t worry. American Airlines has a wheelchair assistance policy to help the disabled passengers. Scroll down to know the policy highlights –
- As per the wheelchair policy by American Airlines, inform the airline in advance to travel with your personal wheelchair.
- AA has two teams for disability assistance –
- Disability team
- Special Assistance team
The teams determine the wheelchair type as per the disability.
- Passengers with a disability who need a wheelchair can call at 800-778-4838 or 800-455-9880 to inquire about the airline’s wheelchair policy.
- Provide the documents at least 48 hours before the flight departure. Get the approval form an hour before check-in.
- Electric powered wheelchairs must be checked one hour before check-in.
- You must provide American Airlines with a medical clearance form and a supporting document, issued within a year of your travel date.
- Check-in non-collapsible wheelchairs at the luggage counter.
- Each cabin class can store only one wheelchair. The space is provided on the first come, first serve basis. So, book flights earlier.
- Its storage area door must be within 25 x 40 inches or 25 x 38 inches. So, if your wheelchair is bigger than these dimensions, call the airline for assistance.
Does American Airlines Charge You for a Wheelchair?
Do you want to know if American Airlines requires you to pay an amount for a wheelchair? Here, you will get your answer. No, American Airlines doesn’t charge you with an additional amount to avail of its wheelchair service. You can get the assistance for free. However, you can pay whatever you want to the staff member who is helping you with the wheelchair through your journey.
How to Request American Airlines Wheelchair Assistance Online?
So, you need to get in touch with the airline for a wheelchair. Here are the online and offline methods to get one.
Online special assistance request
While booking or managing your trip online, go to the passenger details page.
- Select Add special assistance option that allows you to –
- Request a wheelchair.
- Request Special Assistance by American Airlines for any disability like vision, hearing, developmental, or cognitive.
- Mention if you are traveling with your mobility device.
- If you are flying with a service animal, mention it.
Notice and approval are mandatory at least 48 hours before your flight.
Fill out a disability assistance request form
If you want to know how to fill out the request form for disability assistance, follow the steps below –
- Visit the official website of American Airlines
- Go to Contact Us option.
- Find the Special assistance option.
- Enter a new page.
- Click the Submit Disability Request.
- As the subject, select the topic and option for Disability assistance request.
- Share your contact details.
- Choose the assistance type as a wheelchair.
- Share your flight information.
- Enter the message.
- Submit the form.
You will shortly get American Airlines Wheelchair Assistance to take you through the process.
Can I Get AA Wheelchair Assistance at the Airport?
Yes, American Airlines provides you wheelchair service –
- To and from your gate
- Between gates for connecting flights
- For baggage claim
What is an American Airlines Phone Number for a Wheelchair Request?
You can easily contact a customer representative for service assistance. Since the airline has dedicated special assistance and disability teams, they cater to your requirements before and during the journey. However, if you don’t know how do I talk to a real person at American Airlines, simply dial AA’s phone number and a live representative will assist you.
How to Add a Wheelchair After Booking an American Airlines Ticket?
There are times when you book your flight with American Airlines, only to realize later on that you didn’t add a wheelchair to it. But don’t worry, AA allows you to add a wheelchair to your reservation. Here’s how –
- Visit the official website of American Airlines.
- Click on the My trip section.
- Enter the first and last name of the traveler.
- Mention your booking reference number.
- Hit the find reservation button.
- Select the booking.
- Go to the Manage Booking option.
- Click on the additional assistance button.
- Tap on to add Wheelchair. Also, mention its dimension.
Inform a gate or reservation agent if you need a wheelchair on an American Airlines flight.
Traveling with Mobility and Medical Devices – Things to Remember
Are you flying on an AA flight with a wheelchair, other mobility or medical device? Keep the following pointers in mind for an enhanced experience.
Boarding and deplaning
The wheelchair assistance staff at American airlines will assist you during boarding and deplaning.
Arrive before the flight’s departure
Make sure to reach the airport at least 90 minutes before your flight’s scheduled departure.
Check for battery devices
Get in touch with the Special Assistance team to check if the battery type of your battery operated mobility device is approved for travel.
So, relax and know that American Airlines Wheelchair service will make your journey with the airline more convenient and comfortable. Flight attendants of the airline will assist you with transfers between your seat and an onboard wheelchair. Moreover if you are traveling out of the United States, request special assistance much in advance. Therefore, fulfill your travel dreams with American Airlines, thanks to its wheelchair services.
You May Visit:
Frequently Asked Questions
Do wheelchairs have priority boarding on American Airlines?
Yes, American Airlines offer pre-boarding and deplaning assistance to passengers on wheelchairs.
Does American Airlines charge for wheelchair assistance?
No, American Airlines doesn’t charge for it. The airline accepts free manual or battery-operated wheelchairs for carriage.
How does special airport assistance work?
If you are traveling with a disability or challenged mobility, you are entitled to get Special Assistance. With American Airlines’ efficient assistance, you enjoy a smooth and comfortable journey and that too for free.