When you are planning to travel on an American Airlines flight, it is important to know which items you can take along and which not. For your convenience, here are American Airlines restricted items that will give you an insight into what you should pack. It eases the screening and enhances your overall travel experience.
Even if you find an item allowed, check if it is subject to further screening. The entire idea of putting restrictions on items to travel with is to ensure safety and security of all. So, thoroughly go through this concise guide and fly smartly and safely with AA.
What Items are Restricted to Carry on American Airlines?
To know about the restricted items on AA flights, you must go through the list of American Airlines prohibited carry on items as well as checked ones. The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) and Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) have strictly prohibited certain items so as to keep inflight dangers at bay.
It is noteworthy that you must not violate the rules set for items to travel with or not. If you don’t pack as per the TSA prohibited items or FAA Pack Safe Hazmat restrictions lists, your items will be confiscated.
Moreover, you must be well-acquainted with AA baggage policy to make things further easier for you. So, let’s begin with the prohibited items on AA.
- Alcoholic beverages with more than 140 proof fall under the category of American airlines restricted items and hence, are not allowed.
- AA doesn’t allow you to travel with open containers.
- You can carry alcoholic drinks that include beer and wine in the checked-in baggage. Maximum 5 liters of wine or other alcoholic beverages in retail packaging is allowed per passenger.
- Beverages having 24% to 70% alcohol volume are allowed in checked bags.
Customs regulations differ by country.
While traveling with batteries, take those out from devices in checked bags, pack separately, and take those in carry bags.
Lithium-ion batteries don’t fall into the American Airlines carry on restricted items list. However, you can carry these batteries as mentioned in the table below –
|Power Limit (in Wh)
|Number of Spares
|160 – 300
|Contact Special Assistance
Maximum 2 grams per piece is allowed for a lithium metal battery.
- You can carry the following –
- Carbon zinc
- Lithium or lithium-ion
- Silver oxide
- Nickel-cadmium or nickel-metal hydride
- Zinc air
- Prohibited ones are damaged batteries, automobile, boat, or aircraft batteries.
- 2 spare batteries for personal use are allowed.
Visit the official website for detailed information while booking your AA flight tickets.
AA understands that you want to be safe while traveling and thus you carry sprays for your defense. However, such sprays are among the American Airlines prohibited items and you can’t travel with mace, pepper spray, or tear gas.
- To travel with a handgun in your checked bag, it is important to declare about it to the agent when you check-in.
- AA allows you to have small arms for sports in your checked baggage. However, these should weigh a maximum of 11 lbs/ 5 kg, if you have packed it –
- Well while keeping the original packaging intact
- In wood, metal, fiber, or packaging that is meant to carry small ammunition
- Firearms not allowed in your check-in bags –
The European Union (EU) has set restrictions according to which, you can’t take specific animal products into the EU. Ensure to check those in advance and comply with the American Airlines item restrictions in terms of animal products. The items that are counted restricted include –
You can carry safety/disposable razors and plastic cutlery in your carry-on bag. However, the items that you can take in your check-in bags but on board are –
- Metal knives
- Straight razors
- Box cutters
- Ice picks
Flammable liquids or solids are prohibited strictly on all the AA flights. These items include –
- Flammable glues/epoxies
- Gas torches (that include torch lighters and micro-torches)
Drones fall into the list of AA carry on restricted items, but you can carry it on if its –
- Box dimensions are within 22 inches x 14 inches x 9 inches
- Battery is within 160 Wh
Personal Care Items
Since everyone would want to carry their specific personal care belongings while traveling, AA has kept its restrictions flexible when it comes to personal care items. So, carry your items of this nature, if –
- You have kept those in a transparent, zipped plastic bag of one-quart size
- Those are in containers of maximum 3.4 ounce
Moreover, if you want to know which are the American Airlines items allowed for personal care in your checked bags, scroll down –
- You must have a total of maximum 70 ounces of those
- There must be a maximum of 16 ounces of fluid in every container
The items that you can carry on AA flights are –
- Cologne/ perfume having alcohol
- Hair spray or aerosol deodorant
- Insect repellent
- Nail polish or nail polish remover
- Acetone bottles
There are times when you travel with your specific household stuff for a longer travel period. However, the following are among the American Airlines restricted items list –
- Spray starch
- Drain cleaners
- Bathroom or oven cleaners
Other Prohibited Items on AA Flights
- Scissors and tools
- Mobility devices
- Lighters and matches
- Pressurized containers / compressed gasses
- Gasoline-powered tools
- Stun guns / shocking devices
- Self-inflating life jackets
- Dry ice
- Smart bags
- Electronic cigarettes (vapor / e-cigarettes)
- Recreational / full-body PPE
- Self-heating meals
- Samsung Galaxy Note 7
What is The American Airlines Baggage Policy?
Since we are discussing the items that are prohibited and allowed on AA flights, it is good to have an idea of American Airlines Baggage Policy. Let’s begin with carry-on baggage.
You can carry one hand bag (overall within 56 cm x 36 cm x 23 cm) on board and one personal item. Ensure that these items fit under the seat in front of you.
- Domestic, transatlantic, and transpacific routes – 10 bags per person.
- Traveling to, through or from Mexico, the Caribbean, Central America, South America and Brazil – 5 bags
Check for seasonal and year-round baggage restrictions on the AA official website.
- Domestic flights – Economy passengers are allowed baggages:
- One – $30
- Second – $40
- Third – $150
- Additional baggage – $200
- Transatlantic flights – Economy travelers can have one baggage for free. Additional checked baggage costs –
- $100 – First piece
- $200 – Other pieces
To know more about American Airlines Restricted Items for checked baggage, visit its official website.
- Check if you are eligible to have 3 checked bags free.
- Broadly, checked baggage must be within 158 cm and 23 kg.
- Maximum 32 kg for Business and First Class travelers and Executive Platinum and Oneworld Emerald members.
- Overweight/oversize baggage incurs fees.
To wrap it up, be informed that knowing about the items to travel with and the items to avoid on AA flights will help you have a smooth and safe journey. After all, you need to be extra cautious when taking an air trip. As you are soaring thousands of feet above the ground, there are items that won’t handle the reduced air pressure and other conditions up in the cloud and prove to be hazardous.
Therefore, it is imperative to stick to American Airlines restricted items when packing your stuff.
Visit here For More: American Airlines Customer Service Representative