When you are traveling, plans change. Either you have to modify your trip or the airline might have reasons for flight delay or cancellation. So, are you worried about your trip and money going for a toss? Don’t be with American Airlines. As you can get money back from American Airlines, you can stay relaxed.
So, if you have an AA booking, and need to modify or cancel it without losing your money, here’s how you can proceed.
How to Get a Refund on American Airlines?
When traveling with American Airlines, you can get your money back easily. Here’s how –
For E Tickets
- Go to https://prefunds.aa.com/refunds/.
- Mention your ticket number and the passenger last name in the form.
- Click on the Submit button.
- The airline checks your refund eligibility and the options for it.
- In the record locator, submit refund requests individually.
- This form is not for AAdvantage Award ticket holders for refunds. They have to visit the AAdvantage section of the airline or call 1-800-882-8880 to reinstate mileage from their Award tickets.
- As a part of the refund request process, cancel the booking for the applicable passenger(s). For this, go to the My Reservations section of the airline’s website.
Paper Ticket Notice
If you are wondering can I get my money back from American Airlines when you have paper tickets, scroll down.
You can submit your paper ticket refund request on the AA official website. However, before your request is processed, mail your original coupons to the address below :
Attention: Passenger Refunds
4000 E. Sky Harbor Blvd.
Phoenix, AZ 85034
Check Your Refund Status
AA also facilitates you to check your refund status online.
- All you have to do is to visit the refunds page of the AA official website.
- Scroll down to find a blue color box with a clickable button stating Check Refund Status.
- Click on it and follow the prompts to check the status of your refund requested.
- All tickets are not eligible for a refund.
- If you have paid with a credit card, your refund will take 7 business days.
- For a third-party booking, contact them to get your money back.
- AA refunds money only to the account through which the payment was made. If someone else has purchased your ticket, the airline will credit the amount in their account.
In Which Modes of Payment does AA Credit My Money Back?
Now, you know about how to get money back from American Airlines as per your requirement. It’s time to see the payment modes through which the airline credits you money.
AA gives you money back in the same payment mode through which you have paid the amount. Here are the points to keep in mind –
- Payment made with the credit card is given back to the card. However, it might be delayed at times and is done in 1-2 card cycles.
- If the payment is done in cash, you will get the amount credited to your bank account in working days.
Therefore, with the help of the above mentioned steps, you can easily resolve the query you have for can I get my money back from American Airlines in a hassle free manner and can have your money and your peace.
Return in Case of Booking
If you cancel your ticket booking within the 24-hour risk-free period and the flight’s departure was scheduled after 7 or more days, you are eligible to get money back from American Airlines.
Here’s how –
- Login to your account on the official website of American Airlines.
- Alternatively, you can continue as a guest there.
- On the homepage, find the section – Help.
- Click – Contact American.
- A new page is displayed that shows various hyperlinks and sections for general queries of passengers.
- The page that follows provides you with the contact number of the airline to connect with an official representative from the Refunds team.
- Call on the number.
- Listen to the IVR instructions and follow.
- Press the keys as required.
- You will be connected to a representative.
- Convey your query or concern.
- The representative will resolve your concern with a smart solution.
Can I Get Money Back on an AA Non-Refundable Ticket?
On its nonrefundable tickets, American Airlines doesn’t give money back except the following conditions –
- A flight schedule change is there for over 4 hours and you are not traveling.
- Within 72 hours of your scheduled departure time, there is a change of 90 minutes or more and you are not boarding the flight.
- You cancel your booking within 24 hours of your ticket purchase.
- Change in duty or military orders
- Death of traveling companion or the passenger
- Refunds are credited to the original payment form.
- You can get a refund on taxes or fees (destination specific) that AA doesn’t impose upon written request.
- If AA has to pay, taxes or fees are not refunded.
In a nutshell, you are covered with AA flights if you want to request a refund on your booking cancellation. However, refundable fees and taxes are credited to the original payment form. Also, request for money back within the validity of your ticket. Once a ticket reaches the expiry date, there will be no refund on it.
So, now you know how you can get your money back from American Airlines, go ahead and apply for the same.
You May Visit:
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I get a refund on an unused refundable ticket?
If you have purchased your tickets directly from American Airlines, request a refund online or through the Reservation team. You can expect a refund to your original payment mode within 7 business days. Cash and check (cheque) bookings get a refund within 20 days.